Skip to content Skip to navigation

Widows and Orphans

January 1, 2011
Mark Hurley

The regular meeting of the Widows' and Orphans' Aid Association of the San Francisco Police Department was called to order by President John Centurioni at 1:55 PM in the Conference Room of Ingleside Station.

Prior to the Pledge of Allegiance the Widows’ presented a brand new American Flag to Ingleside Station and Orphans' Aid Association Secretary Mark Hurley had the honor to have Lieutenant Mike Moran accept the Flag on behalf of Ingleside Station.

PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE: Led by President John Centurioni.

ROLL CALL OF OFFICERS: President John Centurioni, Vice President Matt Gardner. Treasurer John Fewer, Secretary Mark Hurley. Trustees Bob Mattox, Harold Vance, and Bill Gay. Excused Al Luenow (who made Bank Meeting at 5 PM) and Mark McDonough.

MINUTES OF THE NOVEMBER MEETING. Motion by Bill Gay that the minutes be approved as published. Seconded by Bob Mattox. Motion carried.

BILLS: Treasurer John Fewer presented the usual bills. Motion from Harold Vance that the bills be paid. Seconded by Matt Gardner. Motion carried.


Victor Cipparrone, 92 years. Vic was born in San Francisco and grew up in the Mission. He attended Mission High School. He was employed as a fireman before he took the police examination and entered the Police Academy in 1942. His first assignment was the 3-wheel Motor Cycle Detail in Traffic. In 1943, he was drafted into the Navy and was on Military Leave until 1946. Serving in the Pacific during WWII. After his discharge, he went back to work and was assigned back to his old job on the 3-wheel Motorcycle detail. He remained at Traffic his entire career. His last year he worked Traffic Administration. Vic retired in 1970, but with his love of basketball coached at St. Cecilia's for several years.

Jerome DeFilippo, 67 years. Jerry was born in San Francisco and grew up in the Richmond. He went to Sacred Heart High School and US.F. He worked as a bank clerk before he entered the Police Academy in 1970. His first assignment was Park. Two years later, he went to Taraval, and then Northern for a short time. He then went back to Park station. Jerry was going to law school all this time and after he passed the bar was assigned to the Legal Office. He made Sergeant/Inspector during this time, and two years later, Lieutenant. He worked the old "S" Squad and then Southern, Richmond, and Field Operations Bureau. Jerry made Captain and was assigned to Richmond Station. Jerry remained at Richmond until he retired in 1997. He then worked for the City Attorney Office. Jerry was awarded a Bronze Medal of Valor for he and his partners action in taking a meat cleaver from a female who was destroying her boyfriend's belongs and then went after the officers. Jerry was a great guy to have a cocktail with and hear some great stories. Some are still believed today up in Sonoma and the "thirst parlors" around the Square.

John D. Vincent, 77 years. John was born in Kaplan, Louisiana. He went to Kaplan, High School. After High School, he joined the Navy. He was discharged in San Francisco. He got a job driving for Greyhound. He then worked for PG&E and also on the cable cars. He made friends with SF cops who talked him into taking the test. He took the examination and entered the Police Academy in 1968. His first assignment was Northern Station. He resigned in 1972 and bought an 18-wheeler and got contracts to carry goods for the military. He then moved back to his home in Louisiana and believe it or not worked as an investigator in the sheriff’s office for twenty years. John had an interesting life but even when he left our Department he kept his dues up in the Widows' and Orphans’ Aid Association.

Gary Hazelhofer, 48 years. Gary was born in Oakland, California. He attended Bishop O'Dowd High School. He then went to St. Mary's College. During this time and after his graduation from St. Mary's he worked for his Grandfather and Father at H&H Cabinet shop in Oakland. He took the Police Examination and entered the Police Academy in 1991. His first assignment was Northern Station. He went to Mission Station as his next assignment for a year, then to Potrero for a year, and then back to Mission. He loved sports and besides playing football while he was at St. Mary's he played softball on the championship Mission team. Gary retired on a D.P. pension in 2008. He went back to the family business and ran the cabinet shop until his untimely death. Gary leaves his wife and two boys, one in the eighth grade, and one in High School.

Donald L. Taylor, 78 years. Don was born in Denver, Colorado. After he finished high school, he enlisted in the Air Force. He was discharged in San Francisco and took the Police test and entered the Police Academy in 1955. His first assignment was the ID Bureau. He then worked Ingleside. Next stop for Don was Central, followed by Southern. While at Southern in 1964, he passed the Sergeant Exam. And was assigned to “The Big E" (that's where I met Don and we were on the same watch). Four years later, he made Lieutenant and went to Mission. One month later, he was assigned to the Crime Prevention Unit. Four years later, he made Captain and was assigned to Operations and BCI and Communications. In 1976 he was appointed the Supervising Captain of the Patrol Force. In 1977 he was promoted to Deputy Chief of Field Operations. Don had a tremendous knowledge of the workings of every facet of the Department. He was known as the "Little General" by many of his fellow cops. Don was awarded a Bronze Medal of Valor for his actions in arresting a robbery suspect who forced an elderly pensioner into an alley for the robbery. Don disarmed and arrested the suspect. Don was a Father to 11 children and was a very devoted Catholic. He worked with the St. Vincent's De Paul Society in Denver. I think we can all remember him with his habit of drinking Tab by the six-pack.

Alex E. Fagan, 60 years. Alex was born in Sherman, Texas. His family moved to the Bay Area and settled in the East Bay. He spent his childhood in Western Contra Costa County. After high school, he attended UC Berkeley and majored in Criminology. He graduated with honors and has always had a close tie to Cal. Alex was on the school's wrestling team and was always a good athlete. He decided to take the San Francisco police exam and passed and entered the Police Academy in 1973. His first assignment was Southern. After a few years at Southern, he was assigned to CSTF. After that came Narcotics. He made Inspector/Sergeant and stayed at Vice. He then worked Homicide until he made Lieutenant. He was assigned to the Fiscal Division. In 2000 he made Captain and was given the command of the great cops in the "Big E." He loved that assignment as well as his time in Narcotics and Vice. When he commanded Northern Station he often had to deal with demos and would have direct contact with Mayor Willie Brown. When the Chief's Job opened up, Mayor Brown picked Alex to lead the Department as the next Chief. He retired a year later in 2004 when the new mayor picked another chief. Alex was awarded several Medals of Valor. He received a Silver – and this is a good one! -- while he was working off-duty as a bank teller when a robbery suspect attempted to rob another teller. Alex went over to the window and got the female teller out of the way and asked the suspect if he could help him? Alex observed a chrome plated gun in his overcoat pocket. Alex reacted and before the suspect could pull the gun, grabbed his overcoat and pulled him over the counter and through the tellers window He was then disarmed and put under arrest. He got another Silver Medal Of Valor while he and his partner were on patrol and observed a fire in a bathhouse on Folsom St. There were a lot of doors they had to knock down to get the patrons out. All told there were 30 people that were lead to safety. As a result, both he and his partner were treated for smoke inhalation and Alex remained in the Hospital for several days. He was awarded a Bronze Medal of Valor for handling an 800X with a pair of scissors who was tearing up her apartment. Alex was stabbed in his chest but his vest saved him, but he took a severe wound to his left arm. They finally succeeded in disarming and arresting her. He received another Bronze Medal of Valor for his arrest of an armed female at a water front restaurant. He and his partner moved on her quickly and got the .38 cal revolver from her, she turned out to be a transvestite with an extensive police record. He received another Bronze Medal of Valor for his help in saving a female with a knife who was attempting suicide. She jumped into the bay and Alex swam out to get her about two hundred yards away. Alex was very active in the Guardsmen and was a regular at all their events and fundraisers. He was also a great Cal fan. As his friend, he was happy as anything that my son was going to Cal and was a stroke on their crew team. He took his Cal tie off and gave it to my son, Mike. Every time I saw him he would yell at me "Go Bears!" Alex was a great part of the history of our city and Department. His son Alex is a sergeant with the Army Rangers and has served several tours in various combat zones in the Middle East. He is a wounded and well-decorated hero like his Father.

REPORT OF TRUSTEES: This meeting took place at 5PM at Wells Fargo Bank. Mr. Jerome Paolini gave a report on our account. The Market was down in November but is up, so far, in December. The two years tax program should remain the same and the fact that unemployment payments will remain intact for another year are both good signs for the market. Our unemployment is up to 9.8%. The uncertainty with Ireland and Europe, Spain, and Portugal could be next. We are still ahead of a lot of other investment groups.

OLD BUSINESS: Election of Officers and Trustees for the coming year. Matt Gardner, President. Mark McDonough, Vice President. Secretary, Joe Reilly. Treasurer, Dean Taylor. Trustees, John Centurioni, Bill Gay, Bob Mattox, Al Luenow, and Harold Vance. Treasurer John Fewer decided that he could not give his full attention to the position since he is planning some trips. Mark Hurley was challenged for his position by Lt. Joe Reilly. After I explained the fact we never in over 60 years had an election where we had to mail out ballots to all members and return and mail results back to them. The cost would be over $4000! I decided after 42years with the Widows' and Orphans', going to the meetings until the night my friend and trustee, Jack Young, was killed at Ingleside Station in 1971. President Jim Hegarty appointed me to serve out Jack's term. I served as President twice and as your Secretary for the past eleven years. I can only say I helped a lot of cops and their families get through some tough times. This is my last article. Thanks to Ray Shine for doing such a great job with the POA paper. Ray, this "old dog" never missed a deadline.

ADJOURNMENT: President John Centurioni had a moment of silence for our departed members and those men and women serving our country in the Armed Forces. We adjourned at 3:15 PM and were to meet a Wells Fargo Bank at 5PM.


Mark Hurley, Secretary.